The Toxic And Non-Toxic Plants That Can Affect Your Pet

Image Source: Pixabay

There are many plants that are harmful to your pets. Whether they may be toxic, or seemingly harmless, it is better to take precautionary steps to prevent damage while outside. Better safe than sorry! It is important to have an understanding of the things in nature that can have a negative effect on your pets.

Here Are A Few Poisonous Plants To Avoid: 

Autumn Crocus

Autumn crocus ironically blooms during the Spring and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver and kidney damage, gastrointestinal bleeding, and even respiratory failure.

Azalea

Azalea is also a very dangerous plant for our pets. With the ingestion of just a few leaves, the Azalea is capable of causing severe vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, and even coma and death without immediate medical attention.

Kalanchoe

The Kalanchoe is a popular flower that may cause diarrhea, vomiting and heart arrhythmias when ingested by your pets.

Cyclamen

Cyclamen’s most dangerous part is its roots. Ingestion by pets may lead to excessive vomiting and even death.

Lilies

The lily, a seemingly harmless plant can have serious effects on your pets. Lilies like Peruvian, Calla, and Peace have substances that may cause minor symptoms like tissue irritation that affects the mouth, pharynx, tongue, and esophagus, which can result in drooling.

There are other species of Lilies can be deadly. They are Asiatic, Tiger, Easter, Day, and Japanese Snow Lilies. All of these are especially toxic to your cats. Even a small dosage of these can cause severe kidney failure.

Oleanders

The Oleander is popular because of its evergreen look. It is an outdoor shrub that produces delicate, white flowers. Both leaves and flowers are highly toxic when ingested. It can slow the heart rate, cause severe vomiting and even death!

Daffodils

The ingestion of tulips by your pets can lead to severe vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, respiratory depression, and cardiac arrhythmias. Seek immediate medical care.

Dieffenbachia

The dieffenbachia is a highly popular plant in homes and offices alike. Ingestion of this plant may lead to drooling, intense oral irritation, vomiting, nausea, and difficulty swallowing.

Lily Of The Valley

The Lily of the valley contains toxins that cause similar effects that the foxglove causes when ingested. The symptoms of ingestion include diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, vomiting, seizures, and cardiac arrhythmias.

Sago Palms

The beautiful Sago Palm is usually used for garden decorations. Although it may look harmless, watch out for these. They cause bloody stools, vomiting, liver failure, damage to the lining of the stomach and in rare cases, even death.

Hyacinths And Tulips

Ingestion of these can cause tissue irritation to the esophagus, and mouth. Symptoms of ingestion include excessive drooling, diarrhea, and vomiting. The bulbs are the most dangerous parts so make sure to keep your pets away from these flowers.

The list is only partial and contains the most common poisonous plants around us. If one of these symptoms are present in your pet, seek medical attention immediately.

You Might Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>