Image source: Commons.wikimedia.org/
Due to significant improvement in technology and quality of life of felines, their lifespan is increasing. When cats become old, it is important to feed them the right type of diet because it will have a positive impact on their longevity. However, felines tend to become picky eaters as they age. As a result of this, it is hard to get them to eat certain types of food. However, if you can get your old cat to eat anything, you can say that you were successful in bypassing this trait.
The Number Of Problems Increases With Age
When felines grow older, a lot of changes take place in the physiology of their digestive systems. By the time they reach the age of 11 and 12, their digestive systems can no longer digest fats as efficiently as before. Unlike carbohydrates and proteins, fats have a higher amount of calories per gram. As a result of this, your old feline may not get the right amount of calories to stay healthy and fit
On top of that, about 20% of the felines find it harder to digest protein when they are more than 14 years old. When living beings are unable to digest protein, they won’t be able to maintain their muscle mass. Due to their body’s inability to digest protein and fat efficiently, they will become skinny in no time. When felines lose weight quickly, they are more vulnerable to diseases which can be fatal.
Felines are also prone to arthritis and kidney disease when they grow old. At the same time, there are more free radicals in their body, which can damage or alter the structure or compounds and cells. The thing about free radicals is that their numbers continue to increase on a regular basis, which will continue to injure the cells of feline’s body.
Ideal Diet For Old Cats
Here is an ideal diet that you can feed your old cat:
- To counteract the damage done by free radicals, you need to feed your feline diets that have high levels of antioxidants. You can give selenium, beta-carotene, and Vitamin E, C, and A.
- To keep the kidneys in good shape, you can feed your feline food that is low in phosphorous. At the same time, make sure the protein you give is from a high-quality source.
- Some amount of protein to make sure your feline has the same muscle mass. If you can provide carnitine to your feline, it will work wonders.
- Fish oil has active compounds which decrease brain aging effects. It also improves the overall health of joints.
- High or moderate levels of fat, depending on the mass of your feline.
To make the food more appetizing to your feline friend, try to improve its smell as much as possible. If you have any queries regarding this topic, feel free to leave a comment below!